So, since my last blog the two things standing between fMMS and extras have worked themselves out (almost, still waiting for PR1.2 to go live). I hereby like to present: fMMS 0.9.0 aka “Getting really close now…”.
Quick overview of the features:
- Auto configuration of MMS APN.
So, this will work for everyone in PR1.2 (assuming it’s like PR1.2 SDK), but you can get it to work now on a fresh fMMS install by copying /etc/operator_settings from PR1.2 SDK, but what it does is try to configure all MMS related options automatically. If you are coming from an earlier version of fMMS it *should* automatically copy over your settings from the current one, hopefully.
When introducing this I also made fMMS add it’s own APN automatically, which means you no longer need fAPN.
- Forward option in Viewer.
It basically takes the text and the attachment (only one, which got some funky logic attached to it) and opens a new Sender for you. It does not save the subject from the previous message.
- Connection modes.
They’ve been around a while now, but I’d like to explain them again as it’s not really obvious how they are intended to work.
- Polite: This mode does only connect to the MMS APN if no other connection is active.
- Rude: Automatically takes down your current connection, connects to the MMS APN and when it’s done reconnects to the previous connection if possible.
- Havoc: This is what other phone does (albeit much more reliably), it opens a second connection to the MMS APN in parallel with the one currently open. As an added bonus, the MMS APN is hidden from the “Connections” UI in this mode as it does not need to be visible.
Due to the nature of the kernel in Maemo 5 there are some ugly hacks involved in this, so if your current connection and the MMS APN configuration share the same network namespace, things might get ugly. Also, if the application fails in some way when opening/closing a connection in this mode it MIGHT lead to the modem not being able to open a new GPRS connection until a device reboot. You have been warned. Note: I’ve been using this mode for more than 2 months and not yet had it happen to me .
As always, comments, suggestions etc appreciated at http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=616398#post616398